This module contains lecture PowerPoint slides in pptx format for chapters 11-15 and 19-21 for the Concepts of Biology book by Rice University. These slides contain tables, illustrations and text and are suitable for use in face-to-face, hybrid and online classes. They contain extensive text and could be utilized as instructor notes as well. The Concepts of Biology book can be downloaded on the following website: https://openstax.org/.
- 1. Explain the concepts of evolution and natural selection and common misconceptions.
- 2. List the major mechanisms of evolution.
- 3. Discuss the speciation process and several species concepts.
- 4. Discuss the basics of systematics, cladistics and phylogenetics.
- 5. Provide a basic understanding of different types of organisms and the current taxonomic classification system.
- 6. Describe the characteristics of bacteria and archaea and understand the basics of prokaryotic classification.
- 7. Provide an understanding of protist, plant, fungal, and animal characteristics.
- 8. Provide an understanding of the taxonomic classification of protists, plants, fungi and animals and the evolutionary basis for this classification.
- 9. Discuss characteristics of earth’s ecosystems, including energy flow and biogeochemical cycles.
- 10. Differentiate between the major aquatic and terrestrial biomes of the earth.
- 11. Describe the basics of population biology, including demographics, dynamics, growth and a discussion of human populations.
- 12. Discuss conservation biology, including threats to biodiversity and how to preserve biodiversity.
under license"Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike"