This book is designed for pre-service/in-service teachers and others who will work or work with K–12 students who have linguistically and culturally diverse backgrounds, especially students of other languages (English language learners/Emergent bilingual/multilingual). The core concept of this course is helping teachers understand the needs of various Emergent Bilinguals (a.k.a. English language learners (ELLs)/English Learners (ELs), learn to use their language and culture as a resource in mathematics classrooms and implement research-based instructional strategies that are effective to teach mathematics for Emergent Bilinguals.
Table of Contents
1. Emergent Bilinguals in Math Class
2. Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy for/with Emergent Bilinguals
3. EB-focused Strategies and Challenging Tasks
4. Power & Participation of Mathematical Discussion
5. Translanguaging & Word Problems
6. Connecting Learned Mathematics to Emergent Bilingual Families and Community