Which of these occurs through symbiotic nitrogen fixation?
- The plant benefits from using an endless source of nitrogen.
- The soil benefits from being naturally fertilized.
- Bacteria benefit from using photosynthates from the plant.
- All of the above occur.
Synthetic compounds found in an organism but not normally produced or expected to be present in that organism are called _____.
- recalcitrant compounds
Bioremediation includes _____.
- the use of prokaryotes that can fix nitrogen
- the use of prokaryotes to clean up pollutants
- the use of prokaryotes as natural fertilizers
- All of the above
In addition to providing yogurt with its unique flavor and texture, lactic acid-producing bacteria also provide which additional benefit during food production?
- Providing xenobiotics
- Lowering the pH to kill pathogenic bacteria
- Pasteurizing milk products
- Breaking down lactose for lactose-intolerant individuals