Which situation would most likely lead to allopatric speciation?
- Flood causes the formation of a new lake.
- A storm causes several large trees to fall down.
- A mutation causes a new trait to develop.
- An injury causes an organism to seek out a new food source.
What is the main difference between dispersal and vicariance?
- One leads to allopatric speciation, whereas the other leads to sympatric speciation.
- One involves the movement of the organism, and the other involves a change in the environment.
- One depends on a genetic mutation occurring, and the other does not.
- One involves closely related organisms, and the other involves only individuals of the same species.
Which variable increases the likelihood of allopatric speciation taking place more quickly?
- lower rate of mutation
- longer distance between divided groups
- increased instances of hybrid formation
- equivalent numbers of individuals in each population
What is the main difference between autopolyploid and allopolyploid?
- the number of chromosomes
- the functionality of the chromosomes
- the source of the extra chromosomes
- the number of mutations in the extra chromosomes
Which reproductive combination produces hybrids?
- when individuals of the same species in different geographical areas reproduce
- when any two individuals sharing the same habitat reproduce
- when members of closely related species reproduce
- when offspring of the same parents reproduce
Which condition is the basis for a species to be reproductively isolated from other members?
- It does not share its habitat with related species.
- It does not exist out of a single habitat.
- It does not exchange genetic information with other species.
- It does not undergo evolutionary changes for a significant period of time.
Which situation is not an example of a prezygotic barrier?
- Two species of turtles breed at different times of the year.
- Two species of flowers attract different pollinators.
- Two species of birds display different mating dances.
- Two species of insects produce infertile offspring.